The Harassment Prevention Policy Template was developed by SUMA and the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM) to help municipalities foster a harassment free workplace.
Employers are required to keep their employees safe and ensure that any work-related setting (including workplaces, conferences, travel events, and social events) is harassment free. This template is to help municipalities develop a policy to respond appropriately and promptly to any allegations of harassment that arise.
Key aspects of the policy template include:
- Clear examples of harassment and guidelines concerning what is, and is not, acceptable in the workplace.
- Temporary or interim measures to allow flexible and immediate solutions to address harassment or alleged harassment.
- Introducing wording to remove stigmas and encourage a cultural shift in all workplaces.
- Flexible procedures designed to allow for variation from standard procedures.
- Privacy considerations in how The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act applies to handling allegations and investigations.
- Application to members of the public, visitors, and individuals conducting business with the municipality while attending the municipal workplace.