Municipal governments have been called to take action in promoting reconciliation. SUMA encourages urban governments to engage in reconciliation, and calls on the federal and provincial governments to commit to work, in conjunction with Indigenous organizations, to create new tools to encourage regional cooperation between urban municipalities, rural municipalities, and First Nations; develop materials on fostering economic development between urban municipalities, rural municipalities, and First Nations; and work on information to provide guidance on creating urban reserves, and best practices.
Municipalities and Indigenous peoples across Saskatchewan are continuing to work together to create economic opportunities and improve the quality of life in their communities. This page aims to showcase successful partnerships between Indigenous and municipal governments, while highlighting lessons learned and key steps to success.
If your hometown has partnered with an Indigenous community for a mutually collaborative project, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sacichawasihc Relationship Agreement: City of North Battleford, Town of Battleford, Moosomin, Sweetgrass, Saulteaux, and Little Pine First Nations, and Lucky Man Cree Nation
SUMA Convention 2018: Illuminating the Path to Reconcilliation
SUMA Convention 2020: Leadership Lessons from Tristen Durocher’s 44 Day Fast
MuniCast Podcast Episodes
Season 2 Episode 5: Collaborative Governance Strategies with Niigaanwewidam Sinclair
Reconciliation is a commonly heard buzzword in municipal governance, but what does a commitment to reconciliation really look like? Episode 5 of MuniCast sits down with University of Winnipeg academic Niigaanwewidam Sinclair to discuss how your community can work collaboratively with First Nation partners. Discussing how communities can work to support their partners and make a commitment to honour the treaties of Saskatchewan, this special 40-minute episode covers tough topics in a respectful way.
- FCM First Nations-Municipal Newsletter
- FCM – Service Agreement Templates
- FCM – Indigenous Partnerships
- Saskatchewan Municipal Capacity Development Program (MCDP)
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) of Canada
- Office of the Treaty Commissioner
- Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada
- Indigenous Services Canada