COVID-19 Resources for Municipalities

Mar 18, 2020


The COVID-19 outbreak is a challenge to public health in our hometowns. Find information and resources below to help keep your residents safe.


Municipalities of Saskatchewan has also created a COVID-19 update to help keep municipalities informed of provincial updates and new resources. If you or your municipality would like to receive weekly updates, email



Provincial Update: 

The Government of Saskatchewan has limited the size of public and private gatherings to a maximum of 10 people. 

The provincial government has also released a list of critical public services and allowable business services that can continue to operate in accordance with social distancing practices. See the list


 In Your Municipality

Social Gatherings

Communities are encouraged to postpone non-essential community gatherings. Public gatherings of more than 10 people in one room are prohibited except where two metre distancing can be maintained; workplace and meeting settings where people are distributed into multiple rooms or buildings; and retail locations. 

Council Meetings

Council meetings still need to happen, and still need to be public, but efforts should be made to allow distance between people of two metres where possibleIf a municipality's council procedure bylaw allows for it, council could hold regular and special council meetings electronically during this time.

If a muncipality's council procedure bylaw does not address meeting electronically, but council would like to, council can pass a resolution at the beginning of the meeting indicating the reason for, and approval of, the use of electronic means for the meeting. If council chooses to meet through electronic means and prohibit the public from attending in person, alternative methods for the public to have access to meetings needs to be considered. Options include live streaming, conference calling, or video calling. 

Other precautions that may be put in place for staff and residents include:

  • Council making a decision to close the municipal office or;
  • reducing public hours of the municipal office. 

Any decisions council makes should be communicated to the public. 

Financial statements, tax notices, and audit deadlines

A municipality, through a bylaw, can extend the time for up to 90 days for things such as financial statements, tax notices, and audit deadlines. 


Municipalities planning to hold by-elections need to determine what preventative measures, if any, need to be taken. 

Assessment procedures

Legislation requires that an assessment appeal is made within 30 days after the notice has been published in the Gazette and mailed to property owners. A municipality may wish to consider more than 30 days for the filing of the assessment appeal. If considering more than 30 days, a municipality should notify the Board of Revision secretary of the deadlines and make an application to Government Relations for an extension of time for the appeal decision to be completed. 

Oversight of Drinking Water Systems

Provided by the Ministry of Government Relations March 30

Safe water is essential to ensure good sanitation and hygienic conditions to best protect people against COVID-19.

Waterworks operators must maintain adequate filtration, treatment, and disinfection at the water treatment plant, as well as adequate disinfectant residual through the distribution system. The Water Security Agency (WSA) is communicating to ensure municipalities are aware of maintaining their regular oversight of their drinking water systems and are designating waterworks operators as essential staff during this situation.

During this time of physical distancing, waterworks operators must continue their normal schedules. If the operators are unavailable or not performing the necessary tasks to guarantee a safe drinking water supply, or for any reason proper operation is interrupted, the municipality, the permittee, employees, and contractors must notify the WSA via the 24-hour upset Reporting Line at 1-844-536-9494 of any disruption, so that alternate certified operators can ensure that water is safe.

The permittee, employees, and contractors also must ensure the proper operation and monitoring of wastewater systems and proper treatment in accordance with the permit and must notify WSA if operations are interrupted or upset for any reason.

WSA is also advising that its Environmental Project Officers (EPOs) must be allowed on site as needed to conduct inspections and monitor the proper functioning of both water and wastewater systems. EPOs are present to assist in ensuring a safe water supply for the public.

See the COVID-19 and water issues question and answer for more information.

Remote Communities

Remote or isolated communities should consider stocking up on needed supplies like food and medicine. The supply chain may be interrupted or become unreliable.

Personal Protective Equipment 

Fire departments responding to motor vehicle collisions should have personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect against viral transmission. If your community needs PPE for its first responders, please email the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency. Your information will be collated and PPE will be prioritized based on provincial needs and priorities. 


As an Employer

Employment information is provided by Miller Thomson LLP. Have questions? Contact Troy Baril or Amy Groothius. Miller Thomson has created a page of COVID-19 employment resources at

On March 17, the provincial government introduced and passed legislation that will provide job protected leave in light of the novel coronavirus. The primary points of the amendments to The Saskatchewan Employment Act are:

  • The Public Health Emergency Leave provision applies where Saskatchewan’s Chief Medical Health Officer (“Officer”) orders that people must take measures to reduce the spread of disease, including through isolating themselves. On March 17, 2020, the Chief Medical Health Officer issued an order limiting public gatherings, restricting access to long-term care homes, personal care homes, group homes and hospitals, and indefinitely suspending classes in all primary and secondary educational initiatives, so we consider this condition precedent to be met and if it is not, that a further order will be forthcoming. 
  • Employees are entitled to the Public Health Emergency Leave if any of: (a) their employer, (b) a medical practitioner, (c) the Government or (d) the Officer directs them to isolate themselves to reduce the spread of disease. They are also entitled to the Leave if they must care for a child family member who is affected by a direction or order of the Government or the Officer (such as school closures).
  • Note that employees may be entitled to this unpaid leave from their first day of work, and do not need to provide a written note in support from a medical practitioner – there is no exception for probationary employees in their first 13 weeks of work.
  • That is, if an employer directs their employees to isolate themselves to prevent or reduce the spread of the disease, then the employees are placed on unpaid Public Health Emergency Leave.  Effectively, this places an employee on protected, unpaid leave that does not result in a temporary layoff or termination, and which does not trigger payment of severance.  As with all employment leaves, employees are entitled to remain on their benefit plan, if the terms of the plan permit, and so long as the employee continues to pay the required benefit plan contributions.
  • Employees are entitled to their regular wages and benefits during the leave so long as they are authorized to work at home, follow the Officer’s order, and follow any additional regulations passed by Government. Conversely, if an employee on leave is not authorized to work from home, or does not follow the Officer’s order, they are not entitled to their regular wages.     
  • Employers must reinstate employees returning from a Public Health Emergency Leave, which would occur when the Officer rescinds the public health order.  That is, there is no recall provisions and there is no limit (at this time) on how long this leave can last.
  • The amendments are retroactive to March 6, 2020.



Municipalities of Saskatchewan


Government of Saskatchewan


Government of Canada


As an Employer


Mental Health Resources





Group Benefits Subscribers: Short Term Disability Claims and Canada Life

If you are affected by the novel Coronavirus, Canada Life will assess your claim based on your plan coverage, as normal. Out-of-country medical emergency, travel assistance, and disability coverage is probably the most concerning. Claims related to the novel Coronavirus or claims that occurred during travel to a country with travel advisory warnings will be treated like any other claim under your plan.

For short-term disability claims, Canada Life will consider paying benefits from the start of the quarantine period if you’re under quarantine directed by a medical doctor or public health official, and you’re unable to work from home.

The following forms need to be completed to claim short-term diability:

For more detailed information from Canada Life, or if you have questions about your plan coverage, contact Group Benefits at 306-525-4390.