This page is dedicated to providing you with information on SUMA’s advocacy campaign during the 43rd Federal Election. Here you will find information on the key issues we’ll be raising (in various forms), links to social media platforms, and recent articles relating to the issues we are championing. Please check back often, as this page will be updated throughout the course of the election campaign until Canadians go to the polls on October 21, 2019.
For the 2019 Federal Election Campaign, SUMA has identified three key themes that we will be discussing in a variety of forums throughout the campaign:
- A New Federal-Municipal Relationship
- Tools to Building Sustainable Communities
- A Say in Infrastructure Funding
We are calling on all federal parties to present platforms that:
- Create a new federal-municipal relationship where municipalities can manage their assets and make meaningful investments through Gas Tax and Cannabis Excise Tax revenues.
- Give municipalities the tools to build climate-resilient infrastructure, manage and plan for natural disasters, and reduce and recycle plastic waste.
- Provide a seat at the table for municipalities to meaningfully engage in infrastructure planning and prioritization of projects and develop infrastructure funding structures that offer consistent funding.
As part of our advocacy efforts, we will also be working closely with our partners at the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM). The FCM’s national campaign, Building Better Lives, will bring attention to common issues facing municipalities across the country.
Important Resources from SUMA
This document explains the key messages and background of the issues SUMA is highlighting in this campaign. Review these carefully to ensure you understand the issues.
In a July edition of Urban Update, we asked what municipal issues were most important to our hometowns. The top answers were municipal taxation, public safety, cannabis business infrastructure, and climate change. We asked Saskatchewan candidates, “How do you plan to work with municipalities to address concerns around these topics?”
Letters to the Editor Templates
These Word documents are provided for you to personalize with your municipality's information and send to your local newspaper(s). We will be focussing our advocacy work on one issue per week, so send your letters in for the corresponding week below.
- A New Federal-Municipal Relationship (Week of September 16)
- Tools to Building Sustainable Communities (Week of September 23)
- A Say in Infrastructure Funding (Week of October 7)
Letter to Candidates Template
This Word document is another one for you to personalize on behalf of your municipality. When it is personalized, you can send a copy to each candidate in your riding. And don't forget to also send a copy to SUMA.
As the campaign progresses, members should watch their email for updates from SUMA's president Gordon Barnhart.
Online Federal Election Forum
SUMA is planning to host a free two-hour federal election forum later this month exclusively for SUMA's members. Members can hear directly from candidates how four of Canada's political parties plan to work with municipalities to address hometown concerns. Watch your inbox for more information about this event.
Other Online Resources
Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM)
- Growing the Gas Tax Fund
- Building better public transit
- Making housing affordable for all
- Building vibrant rural communities
- Adapting to a changing climate
Throughout the election campaign, we encourage you to share and retweet our social media content, as well as that of the FCM. We’ve also included a list of suggested hashtags to get our messages spread as widely as possible — and to those who need to see them.
SUMA social Media Platforms
FCM Social Media Platforms
In the News