Laurent is a member of the Canadian Institute of Planners and has been working with municipal governments since 1976. Laurent is a member of the Institute of Public Administration of Canada and a member of the Saskatchewan Institute of Public Policy.
These days Laurent's main focus is all about promoting and defending the interests of local governments. He is leading a team of passionate individuals who believe that cities, towns, and villages have the ability to offer great quality of life and spur economic prosperity for the province of Saskatchewan.
Laurent's recent accomplishments with SUMA include the implementation of:
- SUMAssure, a property and liability insurance reciprocal owned by Saskatchewan's cities, towns, and villages;
- the strongest provincial/municipal revenue-sharing program in Canada, whereby 20 per cent of the provincial retail sale tax is distributed to local governments as a predictable and incremental revenue stream;
- a revamped governance system within SUMA, to promote a collaborative partnership between larger cities and smaller municipalities; and
- Mayors Summer School, an ongoing leadership development program for Saskatchewan's mayors.
Recognized as a leading authority in his field, Laurent has been invited to assist with numerous international projects, providing advice to local governments and municipal associations on capacity development, local governance, and strategic advocacy work. Over the years, these projects have taken him to the Artic, the Caribbean, Eastern Europe, Western and South Africa, Southeast Asia, and South America.
SUMA Internal Committees:
- Executive Committee, Advisor
- Saskatchewan Municipal Forum, Advisor
- City Table, Municipal Sector Strategic Plan (MSSP), SUMA Advisor
- SUMA Governance and Bylaw Review Standing Committee, Advisor
- SUMA Convention Planning Committee, Advisor
Current External Appointments:
- Provincial Adjudicator, Occupational Health and Safety (Saskatchewan Order in Council # 191/2013)
- Occupational Health and Safety Council (Saskatchewan Order in Council # 528/2014)
- Saskatchewan-Ukraine Relations Advisory Committee (Ministerial Appointment)
- Membership Accreditation Committee, Saskatchewan Professional Planners Institute (SPPI)
- Canadian Institute of Planners, Fellows Selection Committee
- Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO), Municipal Advisory Forum (appointed under Nuclear Fuel Waste Act, S. 8.(2)(c))
- Provincial Long Term Infrastructure Committee (Towns and Villages representative)